Polybutene-1 Technical Information
Polybutene-1 was developed over 30 years ago specifically for use as a hot and cold water plumbing pipe material. PB-1 resins are flexible, linear polyolefins produced from 1-butene as homopolymers and as copolymers with ethylene. Polybutene-1 is a proven solution for the conveyance of clean healthy drinking water.
The most important commercial application for Polybutene-1 (PB-1) is therefore in plumbing pipe for residential and commercial use. With superior temperature and thermal capabilities compared to other materials, there is no need for lagging – it endures and continues to perform both in low and high temperature applications. The flexibility of Polybutene-1 pipe assists installers and eliminates water hammer noise. Polybutene-1 is also environmentally friendly as it is 100% recyclable.
Buteline offers lengths and coils of Polybutene-1 pipe in a variety of sizes, ranging from 10mm to 28mm for the UK market.
Key Advantages of Polybutene-1
As a material, Polybutene-1 (PB-1) is technically preferred for the manufacture of piping for reticulating hot and cold potable water systems, as it has many advantages over traditional and competitive materials.
The important advantages of PB-1 are:
- Excellent resistance to creep
- Extremely high strength (high yield strength, high impact strength, high tear strength, high puncture resistance)
- Exceptional resistance to environmental stress cracking
- No corrosion or scale build-up
- Low noise transmission
- Pigmented against algae formation
- Low thermal conductivity
- Withstands many freeze/thaw cycles
- Larger pipe internal diameter resulting in better pipe hydraulics
- Low pipe weight and very flexible (low flexural modulus)