Buteline Polybutene-1 (PB-1) pipe for the United Kingdom has a barrier layer applied during extrusion to prevent the ingress of air into the system, which can cause corrosion of metal components of circulated water heating systems (such as radiators and boilers). This barrier layer is mandatory in the United Kingdom.
Polybutene-1 (PB-1) is not a hybrid material and was specifically developed for use with hot and cold potable water. It can withstand high temperatures and pressures. (Please see Polybutene-1 Technical Information for more information).
A thin layer of Ethylene Vinyl Alcohol (EVOH) is applied during the manufacture of pipe by co-extruding the EVOH together with a layer of specially formulated adhesive, directly onto the external surface of the pipe. This prevents oxygen transfer from the external air to the water carried within the pipe. EVOH is particularly suited to protecting plumbing pipes from oxygen infiltration due to its ability to maintain its barrier properties over a very wide temperature range.
Buteline pipe meet the exacting British Standard BS 7291 and is fully WRAS approved.
Buteline offer lengths and coils of grey Polybutene-1 (PB-1) pipe in 10mm, 16mm, 22mm and 28mm sizes.
|Material||Pipe Size / Specs|
Buteline pipe is tested to exacting national and international requirements with regards to compatibility with fittings, resistance to leakage when subjected to bending, resistance to pull out of assembled joints, as well as thermal and pressure cycling.
Main Advantages of PB-1 Pipe
- Increased flexibility (ie: Less fittings required = save $$$ and installation time), lightweight, easier to install
- Does not corrode, and no scale build-up
- Superior strength (40% stronger than PE-X, and almost double the strength of PP-R and PE-RT, as published in ISO9080 evaluation of PE-RT)
- Reduced wall thickness gives larger pipe internal diameter resulting in higher flow rates whilst lowering energy costs
- Silent operation, virtually no water hammer
- Excellent resistance to creep
- Low expansion / contraction rate (ie: Reduced 'pipe sag' and pipe clips can be placed further apart = save $$$ and installation time), the pipe won't split when water freezes and pipe can be painted without risk of cracking
For more information and pricing, you can download the Buteline UK Ltd price list or refer to the product wallchart below.